i’ve received an email from a reader from the states expressing her resentment about my post on the election: four more years. i considered taking the daily mirror frontpage image offline as it addresses latent european anti-americanism, and i don’t sympathize with that (as i also don’t sympathize with british tabloids in general).
however, i decided not to do so as the question “how can 59 million people be so dumb?” is indeed a question i am asking myself. reasons:
- president bush has lied to the world when he justified the iraq war with weapons of mass destruction and an al quaeda link. how can 59 million voters be so dumb to award that?
- how can 59 millon people be so dumb that bush’s policy has made america a safer place? no serious security expert i would know of has backed that. quite the opposite: the war on iraq, bush’s biased near east policy and his clear unilateralism, in the world often perceived as arrogance, has made more volunteers flock to al quaeda and similar groups than they had imagined in their wildest dreams.
- how can 59 million people trust a man who is responsible for the largest US deficit in history, from a surplus of $236 billion (clinton, 2000) to a deficit of $304 billion (bush, 2003), with large portions of these funds being spent on a tax-cut tailored to millionaires and a war of aggression?
- how can 59 million people follow a man who divides the world into “good” and “evil”?
- how can 59 million people buy his phrase of having been “called by god”?
please understand that it’s not always just blatant anti-americanism when europeans dare to ask such questions. we live with lots of muslims in our cities, the muslim and arab world is our neighbor and friend. this does concern us, too!